Friday, September 03, 2004

Vanity Fair

I'm looking forward to seeing this new filmed version 0f the classic novel, which, admittedly, I never read. Love the title though.

I'll get back to you when I've seen it.

Okay. Back again! I've seen the film and found it to be -- decent. Not great. The director Mira Nair threw in a lot of her Indian background into the film, which I could have done without. Yes, yes, India was a British colony back then, but still it seemed out of place.

And there was a sequence that seemed TOTALLY out of place in the film, a sort of sexy modern day dance number set to Indian style music. I seriously doubt people danced in those sort of dance moves that look like something out of a rave. Sorry, in England a hundred years ago people didn't dance like they do at a rave! It reminded me of the painfully bad rave sequence in The Matrix Reloaded. Hey, I loved the first Matrix. The sequels blew the proverbial big one though. In my somewhat less than humble opinion. IMSLTHO for short.

Resse Witherspoon is an intriguing screen presence so I enjoyed seeing her in Vanity Fair. I haven't read the novel but I imagine it is much better than the film. Though that is sometimes not the case on rare occassions. I only wish Stanley Kubrick had adapted this film like he had wanted to in the early 1970's. But it's a decent adaptation overall.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home