Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nightcycling

Well. Finished up another 40 days on the master cleanse.

Then after going back to my local gastropub for the first time in ages the other night, I had bought a new bike at a sporting goods store earlier that day, stored it on my sizable balcony under an eave covered section, was thinking about getting up early to go biking in the morning.

Then I realized at the gastropub, why can't I do that at night? When it is calm and cooler. So I biked all the way down to the beach. Then up and down the bike/walking path along the beach. Went to the edge of the pier and sat on one of the benches with the last of rogue fishermen still casting their lines for fish.

You have to lock up or walk your bike on the pier. I swear looking out at the dark ocean with the lights on the pier I felt better than I had in years. I hadn't biked in literally eons. And had not bought a new bike in ages. It cost circa $300 with a 2 year maintenance plan. Which I guess is good to have for tune ups each 6 months.

But biking along that long beach path (which leads all the way to other beach cities and beyond) was amazing, still a good distance. Did over 15 miles round trip. Had to walk on some steep street sections.

Then biked back to the pad. Felt amazing. Got a sweet new bike. K2 brand, dark blue and black. A comfort mountain bike. With multiple speeds. Just wore jeans, Levi denim shit and black worn Chuck Taylors. Didn't feel out of place at all. Especially in the cover of darkness. There were late night walkers/hikers along the sands. But not a lot like the day time. And bike paths were on the concrete beach path going both ways and a pedestrian path. I swear it was incredible.

Like a new lease on life. The whole thing was at least 10 miles round trip if not more. I didn't want it to end. Had that Queen song Bicycle Race in my head (which is hardly my favorite of theirs). Very great time all around.

It feels good to earn your keep. To earn the calories for an evening meal. Even though I had nothing but Simply Orange before that main and lone meal. And it was hardly massive. Just hearty.

Plus the great feeling and rush of doing something active, simple and enjoyable. Much better than walking the damn beach. Amazing.

And the notion I had something interesting to do in the evenings now.

I might try biking to my gastropub for a meal or just a nightcap from time to time. Then do the beach paths and head back to the homefront. This is cool.

Should have done this long, long ago.

I felt 11 at times. Riding a bike is a bit like... riding a bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home