Saturday, September 18, 2004

Stanley Kubrick

Just some random thoughts about The Master, filmmaker Stanley Kubrick.

Some other films I wish he'd directed:

The Bonfire of the Vanities (Tom Wolfe's, supposedly, great book. Hey I love Brian DePalma, but what the hell was he thinking with that casting? Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis? Bruce Willis' character was British in the original novel, Tom Hanks' character was blonde and blue eyed, a Robert Redford type would have been a better choice. And Gary Oldman should have replaced Willis.)

Kings of Silicon Valley (This idea is based on the lackluster TV movie called Pirates of Silicon Valley, a great concept and story for a film. Tom Cruise should have been cast as Steve Jobs in Kubrick's version. Anthony Michael Hall should have been cast as Bill Gates again in Kubrick's version too. AMH had a chance to work with Kubrick in Full Metal Jacket and the jackass screwed up his chance to work with him!)

American Psycho (The movie version of this book I enjoyed, but it wasn't epic enough for me, Stanley could have done it justice. I still find it amazing that two women directed and wrote this movie. Strange. Guinevere Turner wrote the screenplay and acted in it. I saw the lovely Ms. T. at a Thai restaurant in Hollywood about a year ago. I was munching some Thai lemon chicken dish thingee with a pretty young Latina I'd met online. I never had Thai but she wanted to go so we did. Saw Ms. T. walk in with a soft butch lesbian friend possibly lover and two portly and pleasant looking Latin gay men chatting on their cell phones they way Hollywood folks do.)

A Clockwork Orange is still my favorite film of his. And my favorite film period. Some parts are dated, like the obvious ugly 1970's clothes. But overall it's still terrific and packs a punch to this day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home